Diocese of Saskatoon

Does the income from one of these gifts have to go to me or can someone else, like my mother, receive the income?

Income gifts can be very useful to provide support for a person dependent on you, such as a parent or student. You receive the charitable deduction for making the gift, but the income recipient- for instance, your mother- declares the income for tax purposes. In all likelihood she is in a lower tax bracket, so there is less tax owed than if you received the income and used it to provide for her support.